Thursday, December 22, 2016

My New Book Is Here!


            Last week artist Barbara Kostal and I had a book launch party for our co-authored book, Wisdom of the Heart
Book cover

 It was a fabulous party. Everyone loved the book, marveled over its coffee-table-book size, admired the paintings that Barbara had on easels around the room, and enjoyed my readings.
I am reading from the book, far left. Barbara Kostal is at lower right.


I am apparently reading something ecstatic from one of the essays.

         This party was the culmination of more than three years of collaborative work, which started in September 2013, when I was guest speaker for the Applegate Trails Association's first annual fundraiser. Barbara, whom I didn't know, approached me there, introduced herself as an Applegate artist, and said that she had been working on a series of paintings called Wisdom of the Heart and that her vision was to publish a book of those paintings, with essays. She said she knew me through my commentaries on Jefferson Public Radio. Would I be interested in collaborating on the project and writing the essays?
         I was immediately interested and even more so when I visited her in her studio, with its lovely views of meadows and mountains, and saw the paintings. What I wanted to do, I told Barbara, was not to interpret the paintings but respond to them. Essays and paintings would be two interrelated pieces, one in words, one in paint. Barbara agreed, and so we began.
         We quickly developed a process. Barbara would bring a painting to my house on the mountain and hang it carefully on the wall. We would have lunch, talk, discuss the book, take a walk. I would live with the painting for several weeks or a month or more, meditating on it, watching it in different lights, letting its essence speak to me. Then I started writing. When the piece was finished, I called Barbara. She would come over with a new painting; I would read the essay to her; we would have lunch, talk and laugh, discuss the book, take a walk. Then, with a new painting on the wall, the process began again.
         Not the least part of this project for me was to have a revolving exhibition of Barbara's art in my house. Perhaps the best part was the deep friendship that developed between Barbara and me.
         The production process was arduous, but thanks to the patronage of Barbara's husband, David Calahan, the published book is in hand. It is a beautiful book. Barbara and I thought so when we got our authors' copies, several weeks ago, and the response at the book launch and afterward has corroborated our own, admittedly biased, opinion.
         Barbara thinks of the book as having healing power. If art and words have healing power, then perhaps so. I think of the book as bringing pleasure to readers and maybe a little bit of encouragement to see the beauty in the world around us – in the people we know, the experiences we have, and the natural world that is a part of ourselves. The book launch was the start of what I hope will be a long journey for Wisdom of the Heart as its images and words bring to other people a hint of the pleasure and beauty Barbara and I find in life.

Me with Barbara Kostal and her parents at the book signing table
(Copies of Wisdom of the Heart can be ordered from dicoog@gmail.com. $35 plus $10 shipping and handling. We also have greeting cards, each with a painting from the book and a quote from the accompanying essay. Inquire for more information.)



No comments:

Post a Comment