Thursday, May 4, 2017

The Kinds of Places We Choose to Live In

            When my friend told me he was thinking about building townhouses on a piece of property he owns, I blanched.
             I like my friend, but I loathe developers. I think sprawl is one of the worst of our environmental problems. I don't think we need an influx of people with all their cars crowding the roads, parking places paving over Paradise, and houses squeezed onto formerly "empty" lots (never mind their flora and fauna).
            Trying to be reasonable, though, I admitted the financial wisdom of building rentals as an investment in retirement funds, and I recognized the practicality of the townhouse design – two-story houses with front doors facing the street. But all attempts at fair-mindedness were defenestrated in the face of garages as big as the fronts of the houses.
            "Hide the garage!" I cried. "The front of the house should invite the visitor in, not just emphasize the importance of the car."
 
Emphasizing the importance of the car
            Considering my social-architectural theories, my friend pointed out that putting driveways in the back of the house would take up most of the back-yard space.
            "Well, that won't do, then," I said in a pout. "We live too much indoors. How can we begin to know more about nature if we don't provide places where people can be in nature, even if it's only a patch of weeds under a tree?" I ranted on: "Children, especially, need to be outdoors." My friend said there was a very good park only a few blocks down the road, with a playground and lots of open space, and I said that that was very good, but that nothing could take the place of a child being able to step out the door and play outside. If we are going to encourage children to know nature, I said, we have to provide them the opportunity.
            Adults, too, need that expansive sense of space that comes from the outdoors. Thoreau would take visitors to the pine woods behind his house, which he called his withdrawing room, so they could make conversation there. "You want room for your thoughts to get into sailing trim and run a course or two before they make their port," he said. Thoughts bang into walls, no matter how big the house.
            My friend the potential developer pointed out that he had included an open space with his townhouses, I think by law, but I hooted at the postage-stamp size of this open space.
A small square of open space at a development in Grants Pass
These nods towards the outdoors don't contain the mysteries of nature that intrigue children – and adults. I had in mind, if not Thoreau's withdrawing room, then the sort of continual back yards of a neighborhood I had once seen in Atlanta, where all houses on two streets opened to a large common back yard with slopes and trees and ravines and all sorts of mysteries for children to explore and for the soul to contemplate. That wasn't possible here, but, still, I argued, we needed to make the common outdoor area larger.
            Well, said my friend the developer, if he built three houses instead of four, he could create more open space, but that would mean less income. I said maybe the larger open space would make his townhouses more attractive to buyers, so he could charge more for each one. It is of dubious truth, but surely there are other people who see the value of this kind of living space.
            My final point was trees. Where were the trees? The landscaper's plan included some hawthorn and other smallish trees here and there, "but," I said, reaching the ultimate in unreasonableness, "where are the 100-year-old trees to put swings on and for the children to climb into and test their strength on?"
            In the event, my friend decided not to be a developer. He sold the land instead, and, as usual, the new developer will jam in as many houses as legally possible, giving residents a postage stamp of grass for outdoor space, emphasizing garages, and planting spindly little trees that won't ever grow into mighty giants, and children won't be encouraged to be outdoors and adults won't know the benefits of nature in their lives. My attempts at creating a better society through better living spaces came to an unfruitful end. But, for a while, I tried hard.

1 comment: