Thursday, May 2, 2024

Gems from My Life

Diamond
Some jeweler somewhere
long ago fashioned a featureless rock
into a diamond's tiny facets
from which the sun strikes fire,
Fourth-of-July sparklers
over Crater Lake's lapis
as I swim.

Ruby
No rubies gleamed among the rocks
Along the shore of Ruby Lake,
Nor did the water splash red as I dove in.
But if rubies are the gemstones of the sun
(As Hindus would have it)
Or the king of all gemstones
(As jewelers' ads would have it),
Then, with mountain peaks clasping Ruby
Like prongs gripping the stone of a ring,
The lake was a genuine gem.

Emerald
I have swum in Emerald Lake in the Trinity Alps
in Emerald Lake in the Sierra Nevada
in Emerald Lake in the Rocky Mountains
and could no doubt swim
in an Emerald Lake on many mountains
because a lake as green as those
could not but be named Emerald.

Garnet
They're called garnet yams
Though the rich orange mash
Merges not with our vision
Of the shiny red gleam of garnet gems.
And though the rough red skins
Might resemble unpolished garnets,
We never really see garnets in the rough
So can hardly identify the yam with the gem.
But give anything the name of a gem
And it will sell.

Turquoise
Once, while I wandered lost in psychic hinterlands,
God told me Satan had thwarted all efforts
to give me the ring that would prove
my initiation into the hermetic circle.
I wound in its place a string on my finger.
Later, wandering in mental peregrinations
around the grounds of the mental hospital,
I sat for a spell at a picnic table,
catatonically uncommunicative
even with the man who joined me there.
Years later, I looked often at the turquoise ring I wore
and wondered what had made him give it to me.

Opal
My mother, an October child,
wore opal earrings
which, I was pleased to know,
when we opened her will after she died,
she had opted to leave to me
But, alas!
She had bestowed those opal earrings
long ago on her granddaughter
who had not the will
to offer them then
back to me.

Pearl
I wish you to be an oyster
And turn these grits of irritation
Into gifts for appreciation
Pearls to love
Along with the other gems
Of my personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment