Thursday, July 23, 2020

I Have Traveled a Good Deal in Wonderland

          My sister Laura Martin blogs at naturebasedblog.com. Last week she wrote about not being able to travel with her husband this year, as they had planned, so she took a trip around her own yard instead. It's like Thoreau saying he had "travelled a good deal in Concord." Laura's pictures inspired me to take a little journey around my own land, which I call Wonderland, and see what I could see.

In the garden, the echinacea was eye-catchingly beautiful.
A rose on the fence had a delicate beauty.
 Even the lowly zucchini was worthy of a tourist's glance.
Outside the garden I found wilder beauties: milkweed under the apple tree 
chicory in the field
grapes dangling on low-lying Oregon grape bushes.
There was also bear scat under the apple tree. Maybe it doesn't make a beautiful picture, but no tourist would pass the opportunity to prove such proximity to a bear!
But it isn't the garden or the wildflowers but the woods that make Wonderland a wonderland—just simply the trees.


I found other beauties of pattern and texture.

and a touch of art in the Zen garden.
At the end of my journey, back at the house, impatiens greeted me with exotic color,
and the mountain, as always, gave the final blessing on my travels around Wonderland.





No comments:

Post a Comment