Thursday, February 4, 2021

A Poem for Starting the New Year

 On the Threshold of 2021

                Again I begin
On the threshold of the year
To re-determin-ate the myth
                To end its past determined path
                                the year of death and isolation
                                induced by politics, disease, and natural disaster
                                Annus horribilis
                To create instead a myth of my making
                Open a door once more on promise
                                violets, not violence
                                chorus of birds not angry words
                                the intent of truth to unbend crooked lies
                                arms that hug like angels' wings
                                                without harm of viral things

But I did not choose to lose so much last year
And no matter how I yearn to turn the myth my way
                                this year
                to make it mind my kind of story
                to pen it from my yen for joy,
From this threshold
                it seems too bold to hold such hope
                it seems like pipe dreams and hype
                                mythic fantasy of a mystic type

But I can dream of miracles and truths
I can aspire to higher luck than last year's muck.
I can want
and hope
and welcome, oh,
                annus mirabilis!

No comments:

Post a Comment